Sunday, January 16, 2011

Spaghetti Casserole

This is a food I grew up with at my dads.  It easily became my favorite as a kid and after college I decided I needed to get the recipe so I could indulge in my favorite food again.  Now it's my husbands favorite ;) haha.  The first few times I made this dish it wasn't really the greatest.  It was definitely still good but not the delicious dinner I remembered.  The past 4 months I've made it so much that I've totally got it down now...yes!  After the first 2 times I had the recipe memorized and now I just improvise and season it accordingly.  That's my ultimate goal with cooking and baking:  to never need to look at the recipe.  I love how it's an art; something that not many people realize.  But for me it's such a wonderful thing to be in the kitchen and just throw things together with only sheer instinct and a little experience to lead me.  Sure I still use recipes, but lots of the time they're just pointless haha.  Basically everything has turned out delicious when I do it that way.  And when I do mess something up with my food (which is rare), I learn and do it better the next time around.  I just love it :).  Anyways here is the recipe for my spaghetti casserole (sorry it's not super accurate, I'm just doing it from memory and don't know the exact measurements for the things like spaghetti lol :P):


SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE
1  package (I think 16 oz) of spaghetti (my favorite to use is vermicelli pasta)
1  large can/jar of pasta sauce (I always prefer Hunt's pasta sauce in the cans because it's cheaper, better tasting, and easier to season)
1  small can of tomatoe paste (optional)
1  box of frozen spinach slightly cooked (I discovered the creamed spinach makes it taste so much better versus the chopped spinach)
1  egg
LOTS  of shredded cheese (mozarella, colby, and montery jack make the best mix)
1  small tub of sour cream
Seasonings:  salt, pepper, garlic in any form, italian seasoning, thyme, marjoram, onion flakes, oregano, and any others you want!.

In a bowl mix together the egg, sour cream, and about 3-5 handfuls of shredded cheese (amount varies depending on how much cheese you want).  Add the spinach after it's cooled down (otherwise it'll melt the cheese) and the tomatoe paste as well as 1/4 of the pasta sauce.  Season to flavor and add the cooked spaghetti.  After it's all well mixed put in a 13'x9' casserole dish and cover with the remaining pasta sauce.  Sprinkle the shredded cheese over it and put in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.  Let it cool for 5-10 minutes so that when you dish it up it's a solid, not a liquid :P

Ok, yeah I know that was super vague.  I'm sorry lol.  I wish I could make you all some :D  anyways I'm just grateful for my spaghetti casserole cause I made it for my family today and it was awesome.  We played just dance for the wii and it totally kicks!  I'm addicted lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment