Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Answered Prayers

Today started out as a really dumb day.  I'm on my period, I had to leave my husband sleeping which I hate, it's freezing, and this girl I work with is lame.  I was walking home in zero degree weather and it was WINDY!  OK.  Now I love nature.  I even love natural disasters.  It's amazing to me the things that God can do and weather anomalies are so fascinating.  I love all weather; except wind.  I hate how it always seems to be pushing against me when I run.  I hate how it always messes with my hair and makes me look so dumb while walking.  I hate how it nearly blows me into traffic.  I hate that it always makes things a gazillion times colder.  I can usually look to the positive side and I enjoy a large number of things, but the wind is one thing that takes me down in less than a second.  I loathe the wind.  Yes I could definitely change my perspective on it, but I think it's a good thing to not love everything ;P.

Anyway, I was walking home freezing my ears off and the wind was just slowing me down.  The wind was scratching my face and blowing my hood off so that my ears had no chance staying even luke-warm.  I was miserable.  I was thinking about what I was grateful for that day and nothing came to mind.  I prayed that the 1/2 walk home would go by faster but it was kind of a mindless prayer; one of those you desperately hope will happen but don't really see how.  Kind of like praying for a million dollars the next day.  I was about 10 minutes from my house still thinking of things I could be grateful for when this lady stopped her truck and asked me for a ride home.  What!  Are you kidding me?  I told her I was almost home but she insisted.  Of course I hopped in her truck!  What would be the point in praying for something but ignoring the answer when it arrives?  Most people would say no and normally I would as well.  I was crazed from the windy cold.  We talked with each other a little bit and she was such a sweet lady.  I am so grateful for her.  Even though it was such a tiny thing, I am grateful to know my Father in Heaven loves so much to give me a tender mercy from the Lord.  I didn't need a ride home.  But what I learned was valuable and I'm grateful God gave me the lesson.  I know that God answers all our prayers.  It's not always in our ways or our time, but they are always answered.  I feel that if I would have said no to the ride and just acknowledged my prayer was answered it would not have been good enough.  I would  not have truly been grateful if I passed up that ride and I know that.  And I am truly grateful.

I'm not saying that the Lord may not give you his tender mercies because I know He does.  I would not have recognized the tender mercy and the answered prayer if I was not spiritually uplifted every day by praying and reading the Book of Mormon with my spouse.  I am grateful for that.  Are you able to recognize when the Lord God is showing His love to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment