Thursday, February 10, 2011

True friends

Lately I've been thinking a LOT about what a true friend is.  It's different for each person.  With everything that's been going on with Friend F and going to breakfast with one of my dearest friends this morning I've become really grateful for those rare and true friends.  Here are some people in my life who have been a true friend to me, and why.

This is Mindy Cope (she meant to look emo :P).
She was the YW president my last 2 years in Young Woman's and I freaking adore her!  She is definitely in the top 3 of people in my life that have made the greatest impact on me.
A true friend is consistent.
She's always been there for me.  Even when I was making stupid choices.  She was consistent in who she was and what she expected of me; which was to live to my full potential.  She said it was ok for me to wander a little bit because I'd grow and learn but she also said how important it was for me to make it back.  Stronger and more sure than ever.  She was consistent in the way she felt.  She didn't decide to drop me because I was being silly.  She's always made sure I know how much she loves me and that she'll always be there for me.  NO MATTER WHAT.  I love her for who she is and all that she's shown me.  She is full of life and understanding.  Everyone in my YW's loved her too and she loved all of them.  She found a way to connect to each girl and she treated us all equally to each other and to her.  That is a big freakin deal to me.  It's hard to connect with people of different generations and even harder to view everyone equally like she did.
She has the true love of Christ.


Meet David Whitmore.
I met this crazy kid my first year at Snow College and we still talk like no time has passed even though it's been 4 years since living in the same city (whoa, it's weird to think it's been that long).
A true friend is inspiring.
This guy is so crazy!  He is so funny and loves life so much.  He's like a little happy puppy dog that is just happy when someone says hello to him.  He knows who he is and he is focused on serving others and improving his life.  Dave is constantly making goals and meeting them and he is so disciplined (unless it has to do with school...sometimes he gets sidetracked :P).  He is one of those guys that make you feel good.  He loves you for you.  He accepts everything you are while still motivating you somehow to do better.  I think it's really important for a friend to be inspiring like that.  It's fine having friends that only do the bare minimum, but after a lifetime of that what do you have to show for it?  What's the point after so long? 
A few months ago while we were talking he mentioned how he was tired of always doing the work of contacting friends.  He hadn't spoken to a few people in so long and didn't really care to if they weren't willing to contact him either.  Hearing him say that made me so sad.  He's never been like that and it made me realize he's human and has needs as well.  But what would Christ do?
Trust me, it didn't make me think less of him.  But it made me sad.  Because I absolutely suck at staying in contact with people.  It doesn't mean I like them less, it just means I am genuinely bad at writing and calling my friends and even my own dad in Alabama.  It's something I really admired in him.  I still admire him more than he'll ever know and I don't know what his view on the whole thing is now since it's been awhile.  But I appreciate him supporting me and loving me and being honest.  I am grateful for how he has inspired me and I am grateful for his testimony of the restored gospel.
He has the true love of Christ.


Two-in-One:  Andrew Cheever and Victoria Hackett
My husband has been good friends with Andrew (Monkee) for quite a few years.  His girl Toria (Scooter) actually dated a mutual friend before she got together with Monkee.  Andrew has lived with us since November so we've gotten pretty close to both of them and hang out/double with them frequently.
A true friend doesn't gossip.
Both Monkee and Scooter are great friends.  They don't take sides during arguments, and they especially don't gossip.  This one has become a huge one for me.  Last year I gossiped a lot more than I would like.  A LOT more.  To me, gossip is talking about someone without their knowledge or presence.  Whether good or bad, it's still gossip.  And most of the time if someone says something good behind your back, they tell you later so that isn't really considered gossip.  Rarely does that happen when it's negative.  I've noticed it's a few select friends of mine that bring out the gossip in me; because they are gossip royalty.  Nearly every conversation consists of someone else.  I've said something twice about how we need to be nice and stop talking like that, but it hasn't really changed.  Since I haven't been around them for awhile, my gossip has gone down.  Especially with being around Monkee and Toria so much.  They love people and I have never heard them gossip.  Maybe a short sentence of venting once a month, but seriously.  I love how great they are about not talking bad about people!  It really shows the strength of who they are and it makes me be stronger. 
Just to clarify a little, I do gossip with my husband.  I think that is important.  I think it's important to be able to talk to him about everything on my mind and get his advice and thoughts and overall calming effect.  But we don't gossip that much anymore.  We want to remain focused on the positive and truthful in everything we do.  I'm extremely open so I've made a strong effort to not say anything about someone that I wouldn't be willing to say to them.
That's beside the point.  The point is, these two are great friends and they are so full of optimism and happiness and love for life.
They have the true love of Christ.


This is one of my oldest friends, Spencer Shupe aka Spuddy.
We met in 7th grade English class.  We had seats next to each other and the first thing I remember him ever saying is "Do I stink?  I just came from gym and my armpits are sweating way bad."  Hahaha!  I was in love right then :D.  What kind of self-conscious 7th grader admits to farting or sweating or anything like that?!  We don't talk very much anymore, but he is still one of my best friends.
A true friend is fun.
I'm not saying to party all the time, but it sucks being around people that are so serious all the time.  I just wanna shake them and say "lighten up!  Life is funny!"  Me and Spuddy have had so many good times!  He's so much fun.  He loves life and he's confident in who he is and makes normally painful things not as hurtful.  There was one night in particular I'm thinking of when I say that, and he was supportive as I was unloading my issues on him.  He didn't freak out, and he wasn't dismissing my feelings.  He got out a scripture to share with me and that is now one of my all time favorites verses.  He turned the conversation into something so positive and enjoyable.
We also used to go country swing dancing every single week.  We had a blast!  He is the one guy I can actually dance with (probably sounds inappropriate but it's not and I love dancing with Clifton too--he just needs a little practice hehe).  Spuddy looks on the brighter side of life and understands how important it is to enjoy it and take it as it comes instead of worrying all the time or letting things get to him.  I love all the memories we have together and how fun he made my teenage years.
He has the true love of Christ.
 
Of course my husband Clifton, and our late friend Chris Swabsky.
Swabsky and Clifton went to school together which is how I knew him.  He passed away a few months ago and we both still miss him a lot because he was SUCH a great friend.
A true friend is selfless and kind.My husband is such a great friend.  He's never really back stabbed, badmouthed, or blown up at someone.  Even if he doesn't really like someone, he'll still hang out with them instead of making them feel like crap by being rude or avoiding them.  He never picks sides in a fight.  Clifton has always been the kind of guy to put others first.  Same with Swabsky.  It's like that song by Tracy Lawrence (listen to it here)..."You find out who you're friends are, some body's gonna drop everything.  Run out and crank up their car, hit the gas, get there fast, never stop to think 'what's in it for me' or 'it's way too far'.  They just show on up with their big old hearts."
Swabsky had such a big heart.  He cared so much about people and his friends.  He was always polite and careful not to offend anyone.  He was so sweet and giving.  It doesn't matter whether it's the only present Clifton got for his birthday, or whether he helped us move in.  He just gave so much of himself.
They have the true love of Christ.

Hola James Tolman!
This guy was my Shift Manager at Fatcats and I loved working with him!  He is actually the one that introduced me to and set me up with his best friend Clifton Saunders.  He's been through a lot and remains so positive.
A true friend is loyal and forgiving.
James once had a buddy that lived with him.  This buddy hooked up with the girl James was in a serious relationship with for almost two years.  The hookup happened about two weeks after she broke up with him but she wasn't honest about her relationship with his buddy until two months after.  This was devastating for James as it would be for anyone else.  Obviously there were lots of painful feelings.  He has forgiven them both and moved on with his life.  He remains loyal to his friends and would never do something like that.  He sticks up for his friends and is a great mediator for all.
I was mad at the girl that broke up with him for how she handled things and I tore her apart.  We spoke for the first time in a year a few months ago and are now great friends.  Her forgiveness for my stupidity is refreshing.  I am so grateful for these amazing examples of forgiveness and I think it's incredibly important in any relationship.  I look up to James and his positive outlook on life despite his hardships.
He has the true love of Christ.
 
There have been other friends who have influenced me and shown me what it is to be a truly great friend.  These ones I feel have taught me the most.  Aside from my siblings that is.  But that's another blog, for another time :).
 
The point is, I think a true friend doesn't let you forget who you are and what you stand for.  And if you forget anyways, they're always there to give you a hand and share their heart.  That's what I'm grateful for today.  Honest-to-goodness, genuinely great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment