Monday, March 14, 2011

Pi (3.1415926535897932384626...)

When I was in 7th grade, my math teacher had the first 100 numbers of pi bordering his room.  At this Junior High, the 30 minutes directly after lunch were spent reading.  Kids were supposed to read in their classroom after lunch until the teacher decided to start the lesson.  I had math right after lunch.  Lots of times I forgot my book.  I actually hated being forced to read at the time so whenever I forgot my book or didn't feel like reading, I passed the time by memorizing pi.  I figured it would come in handy one day.  You know, like one of those odd tidbits of information that WILL come in handy if I'm ever on a game show.  Besides, my older brother Aaron had memorized the first 50 numbers of pi for extra credit once and I thought he was the coolest.  One time in my math class we had a substitute, and this substitute for some reason said we could leave way early if anyone had the first 40 numbers of pi memorized.  At the time I had about 30 numbers memorized, so my hand shot in the air and after she called on me I started repeating what I knew.  Everyone stared  at me in shock.  But then the substitute counted and realized I didn't have the full 40 so we didn't get to leave.  It was still way fun for me though.  I thought I was the coolest.  And seriously, everyone was way impressed.

Since that math class, I have loved pi.  In high school I finally had a math teacher that celebrated pi day (March 14--3.14) and it was a blast.  I hated pie at the time but it was a day of no work in math!  Don't get me wrong I love math.  But this teacher was horrendous, and he had a glass eyeball that would sometimes move separate from his other eye just like Madeye Moody.  It was freaky.

My older brother Aaron went to the Philippines on his mission and was going to bring us back philippino jerseys with our favorite number, so I had him put the pi symbol on mine.  I know.  I'm cool.  It is now my favorite nightgown since it's so huge though.

Anyways, I'm not a huge freak about pi.  But I do celebrate it and pi is my favorite number.  Along with 8.  I want 8 children.

Um yeah.

HAPPY PI DAY!

And in case you are wondering, I do still have 25 numbers of pi memorized.  I put them in the title of this post.  It's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment