Saturday, March 12, 2011

History

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the past.  Not necessarily my past, but history in general.  History is Cliftons favorite subject and I've found myself getting more and more interested in it.  I am huge into preserving memories and such, and I already called dibs on being the family historian when my mom dies.  I love reading autobiographies like Anne Frank.  I like history.

Only recently have I received a greater appreciation and respect for those who lived before me.  Not having full water use is a pretty big deal.  I have to fill up a huge container of water from the bathroom then bring it to the sink anytime I want to do the dishes.  Of course the water gets dirty fast so I have to do this about 4 times depending on the amount of dishes.  It is tiring.  Any time we want to use the toilet, we have to do the same thing.   We have gone to my brothers house to shower.  It is seriously a pain.  But each time I want to complain I think of how grateful and blessed I am to even have a house!

Anyway, just think of the pioneers.  I'm on my period as well and with everything else going on, can you even imagine how the women handled it back then?!  They didn't even have tampons!  Or the luxury of being able to just lay in bed for hours at a time with a heat pad and ibuprofen.  It is incredible to me.  Even the people with the actual outhouses.  Having to go outside just to do your business?  Sounds cold and creepy to me.

Each generation has their challenges and trials.  I am grateful for history, to show me that at least I don't have to go through what they (people in the past) did.  Plus, it's so fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment