Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tolerance

Today a friend and I were talking and he revealed that he did not believe in love.  He said that at first people are just infatuated, and then as the years go on they just tolerate each other.  I was humored by his statement but as I thought about it more and more I realized he was right.  Not about the love.  I believe in love.  I believe that's why me and my husband cry together after resolving a big fight, or why he selflessly takes care of me regardless of whether I'm sick or not.  I think my friend was right about the tolerance.  I think tolerance is love.  You don't tolerate someone unless you care about them.  It's hard sometimes to tolerate people.  Especially for me.  I don't know why but I get sick of people really fast.  If I'm around the same person every day for a week, I begin to loathe them.  It's all in my head but I get very perturbed being around the same people constantly.  The exceptions to this is my family members and Clifton.  Clifton is the ONLY person outside of my siblings that I can bear to be around for very long. That's one of the biggest reasons I knew he and I will always be together.  I'm grateful for tolerance and the people loving enough to tolerate me.  I know that I am a lot to handle.  I don't need much attention and I don't need many clothes and I'm always up for getting dirty.  I'm not high maintenance in that aspect.  I'm high maintenance in the emotions aspect.  And you know what?  It's ok, because my husband enjoys maintaining me.  Don't think I don't take care of him either.  I have learned that I haven't treated Clifton the best, but that has changed.  I am continuously making an effort to jolt him the way he jolts me.  Why?  Because of tolerance.  He's an easy person to tolerate anyway, but even if he wasn't I'd still tolerate him because I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment