Sunday, May 1, 2011

The phrase "No big deal"

I have been frustrated for a good part of today.  Today was family pictures.  Now, I've never had a bad family picture experience.  My family is great when we get together...until today.  Holy horror.

PLANNING
First of all you need to know it has been sooo stressful for me to coordinate everything.  A few weeks ago I decided the perfect mothers day gift would be to have pictures of all her kids together.  No spouses and no parents to make it a surprise for her.  Aarons divorce gave me the idea actually.  I hate when my phone contacts are pictureless so I tried finding a good picture of just Aaron, and the most recent one of him without Meg is from quite a few years ago.  Even then it's not the greatest picture.  At first I was going to get together with each sibling individually and do portrait and model shots for my mom.  Then I realized it'd be easier and more meaningful if there was a picture of everyone together.  So since it was my idea, I was in charge of everything.  It is HARD finding a time for 8 people with very different work schedules to get together.  Not to mention it was such short notice.  I know.  Boo on me.  But I have been very determined the past few weeks because I knew these pictures would mean so much to my mom.

After finally getting a time everyone could meet, I decided on the place with Ammon.  It's an old building on 24th and Wall and it was PERFECT!  There was a grassy area with trees, red brick, wooden fences, and green garages.  The only problem was it was in a fenced in area; there were no "no trespassing" signs and there's a good size gap in the fence.  But just in case someone didn't want to trespass, I chose the front side of the building and the building next door as backup.  I did not want to photograph at the Union Station because everyone, their dog, and their shoes have taken pictures there.  Way too overdone and unoriginal for me.  After deciding the location last week I picked out the colors and sent out mass texts to everyone as a reminder.  In my text I said no one needed to be super fancy and that jeans with a nice top would work fine.

Another thing was the photographer.  I don't have the kind of money it takes to pay for a photographer and the photographer friends I asked to do it for free weren't able to on such short notice.  I was planning on taking the pictures myself, with lots of help from Clifton.  I love taking pictures.  I looked at several family photo ideas and tips for hours the past week so that I would be ready.  At last minute I was able to get ahold of a really nice professional camera.  Don't ask me how.  It's a secret.  I was so grateful though.

THE PHOTO SHOOT
We all met at the location with the exception of Shane, who was getting off work a little late.  From the start Kristin objected to trespassing.  That was fine, but the spot was so perfect so I wanted to get some individual shots of everyone else first while we waited for Shane.  Everyone waited outside the fence while I did Kari and Madie, then Shane arrived.  We all caught up and Kristin was still saying she didn't want to trespass.  I told her that was fine and we'd go around the front of the building.  She misunderstood and thought I was still "trying to get her to trespass" so she started freaking out and telling me how it was against the law.  I told her what I meant and she told me she was glad I was OK with it.  I said I wasn't but it was fine.  Obviously she didn't like that.  But I just wanted to get it done so we went to the front of the building and took lots of pictures.  In the ones facing the sun, we are much more squinty than I thought at the time which kind of bums me out but it's NO BiG DEAL. 

I wanted a change of location so we headed over to the next building with the red brick.  These ones thankfully turned out great!  While we were in the middle of a picture, a security truck suddenly sped into the parking lot.  The officer got out of the truck and started yelling at us and telling us we were on private property and needed to leave immediately.  Everyone was out of the parking lot when the officer stopped Clifton so he could get some information for his report.  Clifton is a security guard and knows the drill so he was more that willing to help the guy out.  As I was about to cross the street Kristin was storming back to the parking lot so I asked her what she was doing.  She interrupted me and told me to just go.  I was curious so I gave the camera to Kari--I was afraid I would be forced to delete the pictures since it was apparently the IRS building--and she drove away as I went back to where Clifton, Kristin, and the security guard were.  Kristin was yelling at him.  Very loudly.  "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO, CALL THE POLICE?!"  She grabbed Cliftons license from the officer and I started to apologize.  I honestly did not know that we were trespassing, and that we were at the IRS building.  The parking lot is fairly open with the exception of the gate to the lot.  Other than that it is a public sidewalk, and there are absolutely NO "signs of operation" or "no trespassing" or "government property" signs.  NONE!  How am I supposed to know we were trespassing when I'd been through there before?  Before I could get my apology all the way out Kristin stopped me and said "No Jesse let's just go you don't apologize."  On the way out of the parking lot she yelled vulgarities to no one in particular.  Truthfully I was embarrassed.  The security guard had to be over 70 and he was shaking.  He probably thought we were a gang or doing drugs or something.  He was scared and just doing his job.  Why get mad about that?

We ended up meeting at the Union Station to finish on pictures but somehow Kari and Kristin, who were carpooling, got lost in the commotion.  I tried calling Kristin to apologize and calm her down but she didn't answer any of my calls.  Kari called to see where we were meeting so I asked to talk to Kristin.  I heard her in the background saying she didn't want to talk to me but eventually she gave in.  This is about how the conversation went:

Me:  Kristin will you please calm down, I am so sorry.  I honestly didn't know we were trespassing otherwise I wouldn't have done pictures there at the brick wall.
K:  Well Kari said it was the IRS building at least 9 times!
Me:  She did?  OK I really didn't hear her, and even if I had I didn't know we were trespassing.  I'm sorry.  Why didn't you tell me if you knew we were?
K:  I told you I didn't want to trespass and you all made me feel SO bad so I didn't want to say anything because you guys don't respect me or the fact that I didn't want to trespass.
Me:  Kristin if I didn't respect your wish I wouldn't have gone to a different place at the start.  What makes you think I would've tried to trick you if I already was going along with your request?  I think if you truly believed me you wouldn't be so mad.
K:  This is why I don't go out, because of situations like this.  You have enough pictures of me, I'm just going to go home.
Me:  Kris please don't.  I need more and I still need your individuals.  And this isn't for me this is for mom.  We're at the Union Station:
K:  I do not want to be around here anymore!  I don't want to be anywhere we can get kicked out!
Me:  The union station isn't trespassing...is it?  People are here all the time.
K:  I don't know, I just don't want to be in this area anymore.
Me:  OK pick a place and we'll go there.
K:  I don't know....
Me:  Kristin pick a place right now and we'll go.
K:  I'm going home you have enough pictures of me.  Bye.

She hung up.  The whole time I spoke with her I had a pretty soft tone so she wouldn't get even more mad.  Plus I was genuinely sorry.  By the end though I was so mad.  When I told her to pick a place the second time-it was not in a nice voice.  I was so flustered when I got off the phone with her that I dropped my phone getting out of the car.  I didn't pick it up on purpose because I was mad.  I told everyone what Kristin decided then I got back in the car.  Becky came over and told me to get it started because she wanted to go to moms.  I started crying and told her Kari had the camera and she wasn't there yet, otherwise I would've been taking the pictures.  Kari arrived shortly after and it took about 7 minutes to do individual shots of my 4 remaining siblings.

AFTERWARDS
I was not happy.  I was stressed getting everything together, I was pressured posing everybody for the shots, and I was upset with Kristin.  It felt like only a few sibs understood the position I was in.  It didn't even take 45 minutes for the whole shoot.  I didn't want to take too long, but that was not enough time for me to get enough great shots with how inexperienced I am.  I dealt with what I had though.

On the way home, me and Clifton stopped by the building to try and apologize to the security guard that my sister so rudely yelled at.  He was inside writing a report though so we were unable to apologize.  I got home and realized I didn't have my phone.  That's right.  I left it in the parking lot purposely on accident.  I drove to the Union Station and found my phone--with a perfect tread over it.  Clifton had ran over my phone.  Great.  After checking everything out, I was overcome with gratitude as I realized my phone was still in perfect condition.  It's a mytouch 4g in case you want one ;).

Getting home, I only had the last half of the day to edit the photos and make a photo book through shutterfly so I could get the mothers day sale and so it would arrive in time.  7 1/2 hours later, here I am blogging about the most horrendous picture day ever.  It's made me realize how much I love the phrase "no big deal".  I've been saying it for months and today I fell in love with it.  I said it multiple times today and I think it's a verbal reminder to myself and to others that things really aren't as dramatic as they appear.  I never say it in a way to depreciate the way somebody feels.  I only say it in a way that at the end of the day it really isn't a big deal. 

NO BIG DEAL
We decide how serious something is.  I know there are a lot of different situations like death or divorce that make it sound insensitive to say.  And I totally get the mourning process; been there done that.  I had a close close friend pass away in December and you know what?  No big deal.  I'll see him again, and in all reality no one makes it out alive.  I miss him a lot, but this phrase has really helped me keep perspective on the bigger, more eternal picture.  It's helped me whenever I want to overreact to something with my crazy girly emotions.  Today was madness and I probably won't be doing another photo shoot anytime soon but you know what?  No big deal :)





Rebecca Mae





Shane Martin





Aaron Spencer





Sisters


Dorky brothers



After editing this one, it was brought to my attention how silly it is.  Oh well :P


Jesse Lynn





Kari Ann





Charles Ammon








Madison Margaret





This is the picture I blew up to hang in my moms house.







 This one is my favorite :)

NOTES:  Kristin left before she could get her individuals done.  For the book I cropped and worked with what I had for her page, but her pictures embarrass me so I am not posting them.  And a huge huge HUGE thank you to my husband who snapped the button after I positioned the camera and people.  He wasn't planning on it and was probably a little annoyed but I owe him big.  Especially for dealing with my crazyness the whole day.  I love you baby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment