Friday, December 10, 2010

The D.I.

I LOVE D.I.!  For those who don't know, D.I. is short Deseret Industries.  Basically people donate all their junk they don't want anymore, and DI charges accordingly.  For example, me and clifton got an awesome leather couch in nice condition for only $40.  I bought 6 books today for $5.  You get the point.  So obviously there are a lot of really questionable looking things.  Not necessarily grody, because the employees sort through everything, clean out stains, fix broken items, and so on before putting them out on the floor.  If they put skidmark boxers up for sale I don't think they'd be quite as popular :P.  When I say questionable I mean "What was THAT person thinking?!" 

Haha which is exactly what makes D.I. adventures outrageously fun--even alone!  I've found it's something that makes me extremely happy.  I mainly stick to the books, but I always browse other areas because you NEVER know what you'll find!  Even for someone like me who can't even afford food D.I. is affordable.  I save up my tip from Blimpie just so that I can buy some "new" books from the glorious Deseret Industries.

Anyways the point is--besides how magnificent D.I. is--that I see now the lessons I'm learning by being flat broke.  I wish everyone had a chance to not be able to buy things (and by things I mean ANYTHING: clothes, movies, food, etc).  It's made me realize my true ambitions in life, it's made me see how beautiful things are, how giving people are, and it's made me learn to be happy without relying on outside entertainment.  I think there was actually a time when I would make a crusty face at the mention of D.I...like I thought I was above it or something.  I thank God now that I can afford little things that keep me sane and happy like my prized books from the Deseret Industries (even though it still has a weird smell lol).

Even if I didn't have my little tip money to purchase the strange items found there I know I'd still be happy going on an adventure to the D.I.  Because it shows me how blessed I am to have what I have :].  It shows me how beautiful "junk" is.  It shows me how beautiful people are for donating their "junk" without a second thought.  It shows me how beautiful my church is for being inspired to create a much needed place for the income-impaired.  And really, it shows me God :).  I just love the D.I.

No comments:

Post a Comment